Okay don’t kill me, I don’t know if this is a growth hack, I think it falls under that!
Little history, i’ve been a huge fan of LinkedIn, and use the platform heavily, recently had a article of mine cross 120,000 views and growing — me: https://www.linkedin.com/in/vaibhavnamburi/ (say hi)
And I feel like i’m slowly slowly getting what its all about. Each platform may be different but I suppose what has and always stay consistent is consistency. Every big influencer says it, stay consistent and it will eventually happen! The above article was my “win” after posting for 2 years straight almost every single day!
So what is this “growth hack” — okay, we know inMail, we know that its limited — usually 40 per month if you’re business, but you need to send more but can’t afford ridiculous LinkedIn prices what do you do ?
You send people personalised connection requests, because they end up seeing the text when they receive the connection AND when they accept, just in case the missed it, LinkedIn goes the extra step and pushes it into their messages and notifies them!
Now why do I say “inMail hack” in quotes, because its not exactly an inMail, but a hack around it. When you send an inMail and someone responds to it, ideally you create a connection, because you won’t be spending inMail credits anymore. Well you’re doing the EXACT same THING again with this, except for free UNLIMITED NUMBER OF TIMES!
But wait, you already get a way to send a little hello note, BUT that only lets you type 300 characters, and sometimes this JUST isn’t ENOUGH. You want a little more — now i know “Sorry if i had more time i would have written a shorter letter — Napolean” but sometimes when you’re doing an introduction where you introduce yourself a little or shoot an InMail, you certainly need some extra room.
Attached video demo here: http://recordit.co/bitwABkaiB
Go to the person you want to add — search for them! Click on add a note button that shows up!
This is where the magic begins:
Go ahead and add a note or whatever text you’d like, you quickly realise the 300 characters are just not enough.
So then, right click on the input box, go ahead and then inspect element and it opens up the console.
Target the ID of the textfield:
In this case it was “custom-message” they might change this in the future.
LinkedIn’s front end uses jQuery, so we can easily work with selectors like IDs and classes.
By using the “#” symbol with the id name and finding the value, you can see that you get to see whatever I typed in the input box — i typed in “hi how are you”
Now the message with is more than 300 characters long how do you add that! Simple:
Just invoke the function:
$(‘custom-message’).val(‘my 1000 character long text’)
The second you type that in your console and click enter, you’ll see the text update in your input box as well most likely see a negative count on your character count
See the -12 here.
And thats about it, click send invitation and you have access to send however long messages to whoever you want, and since connections are free, you can somehow “bypass” inMails!
- Use Facebook Video to Build a Retargeting Audience
- Run Facebook Canvas Ads to Increase Conversion Rates
- Use Facebook Groups for Content Traction and Branding
- Set Up Google AdWords Retargeting & Negative Keywords
- Use a Facebook Lookalike Audience from Your Customers with the Highest LTV
- Write Hyper-Local Ad Copy for Hyper-Local Prospects, then Change Landing Pages Based on IP Address
- Interact with a Competitor’s Instagram Fans using Automation (Audiense, Instagress, Mass Planner, FollowLiker)
- Interact with a Competitor’s Twitter Fans using Automation (Audiense, Instagress, Mass Planner, FollowLiker)
- SEO Your Quora and Blog Posts (Ubersuggest, Moz)
- Retarget Regular Website Visitors with Facebook Lead Gen Ads
- Interact with a Competitor’s LinkedIn Network Using LinkedIn Automation (Mass Planner, Dux-soup, GPZ LinkedIn Automation Tools )
- Scrape Emails from Different Sites (Scrapebox, Webscraper.io, Import.io)
- Scrape Emails from LinkedIn (Toofr, Email Hunter, Clearbit)
- Ask for Emails When People Want to Enter Your Facebook Group (Survey feature)
- Scaling Reach Out with CRM Tools (MixMax, PropellerCRM, Reply.io, Mailshake)
- Auto-Posting to Instagram (Grum.co, Mass Planner)
- Email Marketing Funnel Setup (Autopilot, Mailchimp, ConvertKit)
- Will Your Emails go to Spam? (G-Lock Apps, Mail Tester, Litmus)
- Using Retargeting Links and High-Level Tracking in Shared Links (Clickmeter)
- Use Social Discovery Tools to Find Influencers to Share Content (Audiense)
- Use [email protected] for Creating a Lead Gen Community ([email protected])
- Use Slack for Creating a Lead Gen Community (Slack)
- Cross-Match Facebook Group Members with LinkedIn Profiles (UpWork)
- Cross-Match Facebook Event Attendees with LinkedIn Profiles (UpWork)
- Automate Pinterest Engagement to Generate Leads (Mass Planner)
- Cleaner Copywriting to Convey Your Message (Grammarly, Hemingway App)
- Using Facebook Live Stream with a Call to Action (OBS Software, BlueJeans)
- Setting Up Email Capture Forms on Your Website (Thrive Leads)
- Dominate Google Spreadsheets for Lead Gen (Hunter.io, Remove Duplicates, Clearbit Sheets, Sort by Color, Split Names, Power Tools)
- Optimizing YouTube Videos for SEO (Ubersuggest, Moz)
- Optimizing YouTube Channel for Generating Leads
- Use Emotional Triggers in Your Cold Email Copy
- Share Content from Reddit and Quora Before it Goes Viral
- Pin Your Facebook Lead Gen Ad at the Top of Your Fan Page
- Analyze Your Competitor’s Traffic (Similar Web, Ahrefs, Alexa)
- Use Facebook Carousel Ads to Lower Your CPA
- Bid on Your Competitor’s Product Features Using Google AdWords
- Interview Industry Influencers for Interesting Case Studies (repurpose for blog posts and podcasts)
- Use LinkedIn Ads for Hyper-Targeting Prospects
- Use Facebook Ads to Generate Media Buzz
- Use YouTube Ads to Target Your Competitor’s Videos
- Optimize Your Blog Content Based on Recent Controversial News
- Leverage Influencer Testimonials in Your Paid Campaigns
- Use Unbounce or Instapage for Faster Market Validation
- Event Marketing Using Meetup, Facebook Events, and Eventbrite
- Event Retargeting Using Meetup, Facebook Events, and Eventbrite
- Use Hyper-Local & Hyper-Relevant Copy for LinkedIn InMail Messaging
- Use Amazon Packages to Reach High Decision Makers
- Use Engineering as Marketing by Creating a Lead Generation Tool
- Develop Custom Python Scripts for Scraping Data (UpWork)
- Use Remarketing for Your Live Video Streams